The boiler is an ianmac design as the boiler in the plans really didn't seem suitable. The boiler has 7 flues and will use a metho burner of some design when complete.
The cylinder bore on plans was 9mm but this has been increased to 16mm for a number of reasons. tooling was one and the boiler was also increased. With any luck over the next two weekends the running gear on the right hand side will be completely finished.
The left had side only has connecting rods no cylinders either. The cylinder was botched so i have silver brazed a new piece of gun metal into the existing casting which i will mill down and turn to size.
The chimney also needs some work i will do that once its in place.
The two pipes coming from the boiler are water in and steam out. The plans showed that the steam pipe was to be braised into the back of the boiler but this made no sense because as soon as the loco would move the water would obviously rock and the steam pipe would be full of water.
I am really keen to see the bug*er work on compressed air.
Botched the LH cylinder. For some stupid reason i was leaning on the hand wheel and slipped when doing the port face.
All was not lost. Machined out the full steam port area and then cut two strips and sweat them into place.
filed down the stips to the top of the port face and now i just need to sand the port face down on a mirror .
I also botched the piston rod cylinder cover on the same day. stupid me. I had machined to correct size then used center drill first so that i could pass a 1/8th drill bit through. Than i was thinking to myself (not out loud so Murphy could hear) jeez I'm getting good at this model engineering stuff.
Put a size 20 drill in chuck and moved it up to the job. The tail stock was a bit stiff so i loosened off the locking bolt so that i could move the tail stock. I then moved it a bit to far the job caught the drill and passed it completely through. ;D
Rather than look at the safety aspect of what went wrong i have focused of the real cause, Murphy, so I now ware AL-foil on my head to stop him reading my thoughts.
More progress has been made. Cylinders on the LHS has been fitted along with the main drive rod. Cylinder cover and steam chest has been machined its just waiting for the correct position of the valve travel to be set before its all screwed together.
Its really moving along at this point so in a few weekends i think i could quite safely say that it could be steamed up and given a wiz around the track...........Really quite proud of myself getting this far.
Seemed to be quite the project but bit by bit if all comes together and once you see things moving you realize that most of the hard work has been done you get another boost which will hopefully will carry me through to completion.
I have noticed that as my skill has improved bits that passed QA 7 months ago have been remachined or done again.
This was the case for the channel in the drive rods. To grove them previously i used a 2mm slitting saw (NASTY). I found a woodruff cutter for a few dollars and set about cutting a proper channel. Looks much better!