Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with some advice/information. I have no previous experience of model engineering but last year I made an impulse buy of an assembled and supposedly running 5 inch gauge King Arthur built from a modelworks kit. It does show signs of being steamed in the recent past but I have had some problems with re-certfication, hopefully soon to be resolved. My concern now is basic lubrication. I cannot see any obvious way of getting oil into the axle boxes of either the loco or tender. Only one tender axle spins freely when the tender is inverted.
The axle pump had been removed but came with the loco - I didn't really get an explanation for this change from the dealer I purchased it from. I now see that the feed pipes from the tender tank for this pump have just been crudely cut back and then squeezed and soldered shut. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the pump would be removed?
I am also puzzled by the retaining pin through the lower firebox, which I assume is meant to support the grate and allow the grate to rock or drop when it is removed. However, there is no obvious movement of the grate available when the pin is out.
Having searched this helpful site and through Google generally there does not seem to be much information available on these particular kits and certainly no obvious source of plans or drawings I can identify. If anyone on here can help with any pointers on the above I would be very grateful. Thanks
Hello and welcome to this forum. I don't have any experience of the King Arthur but I have 2 other Winson/Modelworks kits and lubrication of some parts was definitely overlooked. Not sure if your axle boxes have any oiling points but even if they're there they can be difficult to get at. There are a couple of options - drilling oilways and reservoirs, pipework from a remote reservoir, sealed bearings, oilways through the axle etc but all will require some engineering work. For me, many axle pumps have too large a ram and will affect the running of the loco at low speed. Personally I like a pump although use the injector more and have the pump bypass half open to reduce its effect. I suspect the effect on smooth running is why it has been disconnected and it's a matter of choice. Some people never use them, some like to set them to maintain a water level. Can't help with the grate question but I hope the above helps. Ian
Hi Ian Thanks for your rapid and helpful response. I think i will try and get as much oil trickled in to the end of the axles as i can manage so as to get it running and then do some stripping down/modification once i know that it will move under its own steam. i think i can see how the tender axle boxes could be tweaked but the loco ones are impossible to see adequately with the loco fully built up. kr Jonathan
Post by standardsteam on Jun 13, 2016 10:52:03 GMT
If the King Arthur is anything like the Britannia tenders Modelworks did, it could well be sealed ball bearings. If so they were glued into the axleboxes and a plate then screwed onto the back. These bearings are of the "sealed for life" variety I think. You could take an axle out and have a look and remove the rear plate (if fitted). Breaking the loctite might be a bit on the tricky side as heating the 'box would affect the plastic insert on the bearing. I think the bearings are fairly standard commercial ones.
As for the axle pump - if you have working injectors then the pump can just act like a brake, or it's been taken out if the wrong size or the packing has failed or whatever. It's probably up to the owner if they want the assurance of it or not, but I can see why it might have been taken out of service.