EPDM sheet used to seal window frames to structure before cladding goes on a building is good if you can get your hands on some. tolerates quite a lot of chemicals and is very flexible. Not a concertina though, just a piece of sheet anchored at both ends, mine fols up nicely. As I am retired now I cant get my hands on nice offcuts any more.
Life's a long song , but the tune ends too soon for us all!
With everything I'm involved with things generally take a little time but I have now finished the installation of the X-axis scale for the DRO and the the new slideway cover. Many thanks to Steve (springcrocus) for generously providing the pond liner material which works a treat - thinner and much more flexible than the old stuff.
I'm guessing the slideways were induction hardened and I hadn't appreciated how much this would extend into the surrounding material making drilling particularly difficult (with HSS drills). That coupled with the lack of room for tapping and drilling made this a much more difficult job than anticipated. Pretty sure the Y-axis scale will be a lot easier to fit. Ian
Thanks for that David - worth a thought something like that. Because it's in the back of my garage and not my workshop I'm trying to keep the floor clean so I'm also trying to fix up a shower curtain clipped to the tray so chips don't end up on the floor. With the long x-axis travel it's easier said than done but worth a try. Ian
This might sound a bit cheap and tacky but when my “Y” axis rubber cover, same as shown in the above photo, suddenly split mid session i needed something as a temporary measure until i could get some rubber sheet. In my workshop cubbyhole i keep an expanding, concertina type, plastic file holder. In which I keep lots of A4 paper printouts. Emptied these papers out, attacked the lower concertina section with scissors, fix to column and table with screws and a couple of thin strips of alloy. 10 minutes work. Not pretty but has been there two years and still no sign of splitting. Sheet of rubber hanging behind mill waiting to be used.
5” Strange freelance awaiting annual boiler test Heilan Lassie & Maise Restorations & 5” Minx Long term build Putting EIM Crampton on Alibre CAD whilst learning software. Other projects under bench I try not to think about.
With everything I'm involved with things generally take a little time but I have now finished the installation of the X-axis scale for the DRO and the the new slideway cover. Many thanks to Steve (springcrocus) for generously providing the pond liner material which works a treat - thinner and much more flexible than the old stuff. [Snip]
Pond liner is often made of butyl rubber, and I don’t think butyl enjoys solvents like paraffin. It’s a great and useful material, but if you use cutting oil cut with paraffin, it might not have a long life as a bed cover, (though it would probably be fine for vertical covers.) Worth testing your pond liner with your favourite brew before investing a lot of time on it, perhaps. Just a few hours immersion will confirm that it is OK (or not).
Thanks Gary. I only use a hand applied cutting oil so it doesn't generally spread very far and the machine gets wiped down at the end of the day. But thanks for the warning, might help someone else. Ian