Yeah its the wrapper, what a Pain in the a*s that is was to make.
I turned up a piece of pine (didnt have hardwood) to the correct taper then wrapped the brass around it. Marked it, soldered it together and then rammed it onto the pine. this removed any unevenness from the annealing process and it came out looking pretty good.
While it was in the lathe i used a cutting tool to scribe a line at both ends so that they were concentric and then used a dremil cutting disk to remove the excess.
Silver soldered together and 4 hours later i was done.
Good mate popped over on Saturday who has been dieing to see the loco. He looked at the wrapper and said is that safe.........i smiled and removed the wrapper...........ahhhhhh
getting very very close now......i can smell it
Not sure wether to use metho or gas.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. i could have use a combination of both!
I am going to repaint the frame as i am not happy with it but the tender went right the first time.
Not a spec of dust that i can see, I painted in an old cupboard and taking some of the things that Chris Vine writes about.
He used duck oil (i was fresh out of freshly squeezed duck oil) but i used caster oil. I had some old glowplug engine fuel so i wipped down the inside with some cloth that was liberaly soaked in the stuff.