That's hot reminds me of the old Pathe newsreels about how locos were built.... could have bene taken in Doncaster Plant!
2.5"g narrow gauge modeller - Bagnall 0-4-2T, L&B 2-4-2T "Lyn" and just completed Burma Mines Rly 0-6-0 - all to 1.25": 1'. Now getting started on the next 2.5"g model - ex-Mecklenburg Pommersche Schmalspurbahn No.99 3462, currently on the Waldeisenbahn Muskau....
I appreciate that you are now keeping three records going (facebook, here and new website) but I must say I preferred it when I could follow your progress properly on here rather than linking out. I never visited your facebook section at all as I just don't do facebook, ever.
Sorry about that Steve, it takes a lot of time to do these as I know you are aware. I post to FB, 3 forums and my blog, and they all used to take a lot of time due to how the different forums work so you couldn't just write on one and copy/paste the entire update across to the others. I also give updates in my club newsletter and perhaps very soon will be widely published too, this all takes a lot of time. Add to this the questions/enquiries that I get each week which I respond to as quick as I can I'm sure that you can appreciate why I now post everything first on the blog and then share the link. I have tried to be fair and keep content in the thread by including a picture from the latest update on each platform so that people can tell whether it may be of interest and they wish to look further or not. I also post any relevant information which doesn't warrant an actual update here on this forum first and then on FB, for the other platforms I just post the build.
Peter did i read somewhere that the castings for the A3 are no longer available? I did fancy changing the small brake cylinder on the B17 to the ones the A3 has ( they do look VERY simular) . And it never rains.....The Lathe motor started making exceedingly funny noises today. It is now in the electric motor hospital in Maidenhead
Luckily have a lot of milling and drilling to keep me occupied, as well as the tender jigsaw puzzle
I recall this coming up before, IIRC the cylinder castings were still available but perhaps not shown under 'Doncaster'? I have just taken another look at the Reeves website.... they do seem to be showing the vacuum cylinders under 'Doncaster' again... part number 15/771. Perhaps give them a call to check, there certainly do seem to be a lot of castings missing in today's list though?
Now if i had looked for Doncaster. instead of Don Young designs......Thanks. will get onto them Whilst i havent a lathe clearing out the workshop found the Xmas present i bought for the grandkids, and hid it there as they are not allowed in on their own.
Shame really i think they would have loved that kitten
Good evening all, I am now returning to the motion, to begin with, I'll concentrate on the conjugated 2:1 gear...after this I may finally get back to the cylinders and the valve bobbins which is basically all they require. We'll see what transpires, as some of you will know, I have a bad habit of deviating of course...
Me too..... actually I'm waiting for my son who has two scales for me to fit to the lathe. I don't want to start the bobbins until the DRO is back in service. Think he's popping down this weekend, he's trying to find wiring diagrams for both the Anilam micro wizard reader and the heindenain (spelling) scales to see if we can wire the scales up to fit the reader...not even sure if this is possible, do they use the same number of wires etc? We shall see, I just fitted the new motor to the mill hoping that would fix the issue as it's easier than fitting the new board. It's also what's most likely to have failed according to Warco and the manual, well they are both wrong...lol Luckily I bought the new speed controller board at the same time so that's next to fit, if that doesn't work I'll be truly up a creek without a paddle...lol
Wish I had studied electronics, it's probably just a simple diaode or something that costs mere pennies....
this isn't and update just a sneak at how the lever is coming along, I'm pleased with it so naturally want to share...I won't add this to the blog until next week when the lever will be finished, there's still a fair bit of work to do to it first. I did discover one thing, this 2:1 lever would make a great tuning fork, give it a tap and it rings for ages, has a lovely tone to it too...
On to the connecting links, after much head-scratching and discussion with fellow modellers of Gresley 2:1 conjugated loco's I have decided to change the fulcrum and 1:1 lever bronze bushes to sealed stainless (shielded) ball bearings, just like the full size. This will be covered in the next entry but I'm out of commission next week so it may be the week after before you see the fruits of my labour. In the meantime, here are the details on the connecting links, or should I say half the details, not finished yet but you can see what I've been up too.