Post by mbrown on Jun 14, 2020 19:13:53 GMT
Not much workshop time available this weekend, but a few more bits done.
The bushes for the tender brake shaft are done and fitted, and also the horn cheeks The latter are simply lengths of 1/4" x 1/16" BMS strip rivetted on. The photos earlier in the thread show that this is as per the prototype.
IMG_20200614_171706 by malcolm brown, on Flickr
To get them parallel and right in line with the frame slots, I used a bobbin turned in BMS which fitted exactly in the frame slot and was kept from falling through by a length of 1/8" silver steel.
IMG_20200614_171744 by malcolm brown, on Flickr
I also spent some time cutting 5/8" square steel tubing into angles - there are angles on the outside of the tender frames top and bottom and more angles attaching various bits. They scale at a tad under 1/4" and about 18g which, coincidentally is the thickness of the tubing. I forgot to take pictures of this operation, but there are a lot more angles needed, so they will be forthcoming soon.
The other development of the day is that I should soon receive a set of etched plates for the loco. I saw a photo on the internet of etched plates for 99 3462 for someone who was building a small scale model and got in touch with the supplier, Beckert Modellbau in Germany. They were able to offer a set at the scale I need (1:9) at a very reasonable price considering what I paid for a pair of oval plates from a UK supplier for the Burma Mines loco. The only drawback is that Beckert can only etch them onto 0.5 mm nickel silver, which is a bit thin - but the prototype plates are on thin aluminium and if necessary I can stick them to backing plates. Anyway, only just over a week from ordering, I had an email to say that they were ready! I will post a picture when I get them. It will be ages before there is a cab, smokebox door etc to fit them to, so I had better make a note of the "safe place" I put them in.....
More next weekend, I hope.