No they are old hornby OO gauge, in fact they where Xmas presents for my children many ,many years ago. They just happen to be sitting in the workshop, the loco's are still in good order and have spent the last 15 years in my display case along with my collection of limited edition loco's. At least they are safe there and with the kids all grown up I guess they are now mine...
With the soleplate finished I moved on to the water scoop dome and the top deck it attaches to. Here the dome has already been brazed up and fixed to the deck, with some clamps used as heat soaks and bars clamped to the deck keeping it flat I proceeded to fix the small right angle around the dome.
The tender has now been moved to the brazing area, having had trouble with a previous soleplate (basically I got it too hot and it distorted, I managed to get most of it flat but wasn't happy with it and knew I could do better so ditched it for a replacement) I decided to leave the soleplate attached to the chassis which acted as a heat soak and also to keep it flat. This worked very well as when the body was removed from the chassis later it remained true. Live and learn as they say...
This picture shows the 3 baffles dry fitted to the soleplate ready for brazing, the dome top deck has already been brazed to the top of the rear two baffles.
Last Edit: Nov 18, 2010 10:54:07 GMT by greenglade
Front baffle held in place for brazing, top right angle strips also in place helping to keep baffle square. Malcolm's kit is very well thought out, the right angle fits into slots already cut to accept them .
Here I have folded the coal chute sides to the correct angle and these slide into slots in the front baffle. The front panel has been temporary put in place to help keep things square while the sides are fixed.
The coal door has a T piece stiffener that needs to be fabricated before the front panel can be brazed up. As I said previously Malcolm's work is superb however a word of warning for anyone who also builds this kit the coal door area has a small mistake. It's no big deal but the door opening looking from the front is incorrect on the right hand side, it's a simple thing to fix requiring removal of some brass on the bottom curve and in no way takes away from this overall great kit.
Here a piece if 1/16th brass has been shaped to fit the coal door opening